My final summary of learning for EC&I 831: Social Media and Open Education:
In my summary of learning, I wanted to capture everything I have learned over the last few months. I thought it would be fun to incorporate the top 5 social media apps that we discussed in the course and challenge myself to use or understand the apps.
- Snapchat (user for the last 3 years)
- TikTok (user for 1 week)
- Instagram (user for the last 8 years)
- YouTube (user for 12 years – my first upload was July 2007!)
- VSCO (user for 5 years, but only recently understanding the VSCO Girl concept)
I hope the brief social media interludes in the video highlight some of the obsessions and common uses of the apps. I will say one thing – if you have not downloaded TikTok, be careful. I fell into a deep, dark hole of videos for over 2 hours…you’ve been warned!
Secondly, I originally wanted to include Rick Mercer style rants addressing the main issues and topics in EC&I 831. I quickly realized that it is impossible to film in the “rant” style as a solo videographer with a selfie-stick and an iPhone. In the video, I discuss the topics that resonated with me the most:
- Social Media
- Digital Citizenship/Digital Literacy
- Edtech tools
- Open Educational Practices and Open Education Resources
- Social Media Activism
I hope you enjoy the video!
P.S. Thank you to my sister and brother-in-law for letting me use their business, Assiniboia Gallery to record the video. No baby or dog distractions!